By: Jen Wingate, Account Executive at Turf Valley Resort
Have you ever wondered how people got to where they are in their careers?
Do you consider what choices they made years ago that led them to their current role?
As a mid-twenties millennial climbing the career ladder, these are some of the questions that I ask myself daily. I see that fearless leader explaining to a new hire about how he or she got to that level, and I am in awe of their story. I always ask people to tell me their story and how they got there. It fascinates me to hear all the different paths.
It truly is about who you know and the hard work you put into it. When they say timing is everything, that is also so true. I look back on how far I have come in just a few years. I am in the process of moving into my third position at Turf Valley Resort in less than three years. With both promotions, I spent hours learning about what the next position would require and came prepared for the interviews. Do something different and make yourself stand out.
Here are my top 5 suggestions on achieving the next level in your career:
- What small tasks are you doing today that will help you achieve your lofty future goals?
- Take 15 minutes each day to focus on that future goal.
- Let your work speak for you.
- Your boss will see your hard work throughout the process.
- Make sure you are always completing a task to the best of your ability.
- If you aren't proud to put a project on your resume, fix it.
- Step out of your comfort zone.
- Go after the position that you don't think you are ready to take on.
- With drive and ambition you will figure it out.
- Keep a running file of all your accomplishments.
- If you keep everything in one place, it will be easier to pull from when needed down the road.
- Include exactly what you did and the specific results you achieved throughout the project.
- Be authentic. Be honest about who are you.
- It is okay to show that not Instagram perfect side of you to your client.
- I promise you will connect more with that person.
If the pandemic has taught us anything, it is that everything can change in an instant and that we shouldn't take anything for granted. Now is the time to stop putting off those big dreams and get to work!
Jen Wingate, Account Executive - Association and Non-Profit at Turf Valley Resort
About Turf Valley Resort:
Turf Valley Resort is a full-service conference and events venue with more than 40,000 square feet of meeting space. Located in Howard County, Maryland, we are easily accessible from Columbia, Baltimore and surrounding areas.
Turf Valley Resort offers 25 flexible venues with full-service catering and our hotel features 172 rooms overlooking our championship golf courses. For more information about Turf Valley Resort, please call 410.465.1200 or email Info_Sales@Turfvalley.com.