As a follow-up to my blog in June – Team Building: Something's Got to Give, I wanted to dig a little deeper into current trends in the team building and group activity space. This is also a great segue to unveil a new partnership and offerings at Turf Valley Resort, for groups of all sizes looking to level up their next event.
What I hear from clients most often is that they are looking for something new and different. And while these activities still have a rightful place in certain situations, gone are the days of trust falls and scavenger hunts. Planners and attendees want bigger, better, more! Don't bother reinventing the wheel. Let's look at some creative ideas that have been a smashing success for recent groups at Turf Valley Resort:
- Utilize a local comedy troop to lead an improv class to get the creative juices flowing and foster collaboration and better communication.
- A national banking institution hired local talent for a comedy show one evening. Combined with dinner and cocktails, it made for a light-hearted and interactive event!
- Bring in a master mixologist (for us, they were already on staff) to host a Sangria making class and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
- Along the same line, what about a cooking class focused on canapes, desserts or beer making!
- Turf Valley Resort's Sales, Marketing & Banquet Departments had a total blast with our own version of "Chopped", two years in a row! Separate kitchens, mystery ingredients and guest judges rounded out for one of the most memorable team building activities I've ever done!
Throwbacks with a Twist
- Think back to what you liked when you were a kid and put a modern spin on it! Kickball, Laser Tag, Bowling. Did you like to paint? Engage your team to create a giant mural – either freestyle or with a professional artist's guidance. I mentioned scavenger hunts above, but why not level up and try a Geo-Caching adventure? Is your group a fan of Board Games? Create a tournament with some of the best games you already own!
- Field Day: Do it ‘Amazing Race' style or go old-school for an experience that's great for groups of all sizes and abilities! Bring in a high energy "host" and include games that improve cooperation, morale, and engagement, while adding a healthy dose of competition!
- One of my favorite groups returns year after year, incorporating a triathlon that's become the highlight of their stay! Utilizing what's already available at the resort – indoor/outdoor pools, trails, and the indoor gym - and putting their own spin on it, including a medal ceremony to wrap up the retreat!
Other Miscellaneous Ideas
- Escape Room Relay, Create-Your-Own Escape, or Virtual Break Rooms
- Charitable Giving: Charity Bike Builds have been a popular activity for an annual group and the recipients are always local children in need!
- Charitable Giving: Volunteer your team to prepare & serve a meal at a local soup kitchen. Turf Valley's sales team once donated our time and energy to stocking shelves at the Howard County Food Bank.
- Yoga (Goat Yoga!), Paint Ball, Trivia, or Game Show Theme, Minute-To-Win-It, Murder Mystery Dinner, Pinewood Derby, Magic Classes, Neighborhood Food Tour, or Axe Throwing!
To personalize and better cater to our groups wanting activities, ice breakers and onsite team building, Turf Valley Resort has recently invested in our own arsenal. Reach out to get more information on Corn Hole, Giant Jenga, Connect Four and more! Level up your next meeting, board retreat, expo or wedding reception by incorporating these fun and interactive games.
What's more…Turf Valley Resort recently partnered with our friends at Terrapin Adventures to offer exciting team building and fun outdoor activities for groups (think: family reunions, bachelorette, or birthday parties!). Activities range from beginner level to more challenging and can be customized to each person and/or group! Visit the Terrapin Adventures page on our website to get more information and to view options in "Choose Your Challenge". We hope to welcome you to Ellicott City, Maryland soon!
Betsy Collings, Corporate Account Executive at Turf Valley Resort